Thursday, April 14, 2011

Post 12 - An Idea

     Ever since I started this class, many of my thoughts have been geared towards using the things I'm learning in my other education classes. Yesterday I commented on a Egyptian students blog and in my Education in a diverse society, we have addressed the differences in the languages that other countries teach. Here is a potentially unique ability to exchange ideas or learn from a group of 6th grade students who are currently doing projects in three different languages while I'm in college and just now trying to pick up for the first time. There are so many different avenues one can go down in this scenario, and lots of potential to learn something unique.
     Often I hear students in EDM 310 talk about the things we do in this class, but only in the context of EDM 310. I don't think some of them grasp what we are doing is much more than one class and I'm afraid they will limit it to one class when there are a multitude of opportunities to use the skills we have learned. So I propose that in some manner or another, you incorporate one of your other classes into the skills you have learned in EDM 310. Wether it's as simple as finding and posting on a known icon in the field of the other subject or putting together a research project. See how you can connect the dots, because the possibilities are endless. See how far you can take the ideas you have learned in EDM 310.

Blog Assignment #12 - Break The Mold
      Much that you learn in EDM 310 is about collaborating, creating, and thinking critically with others through the use of technology, so that is what you are going to do. Only this time it will not be in the context of EDM 310. This time, the topic is  NOT about using technology in the academic setting! We have talked to many professionals on this topic and we have many wonderful ideas, so now DON'T talk about using technology in an educational environment, just use it in an educational environment.
  
    


      How can you merge the other classes you are taking this semester with the things you have learned in EDM 310? What can you gain by taking the technological savvy skills you have learned in EDM and inserting them into your other classes? 


     Your next post will be that combination. No stipulations or limits but BE CREATIVE and THINK CRITICALLY! The no stipulation thing is so you have all the room in the world to do something amazing... not cut the project short.

     IDEAS = collaborating with known professionals in a different field using technology - creating an "online textbook" with blog posts, videos, wikis, etc. - skype interviewing - collaborating with other classes - creating a website or blog with other topics - connecting the classroom you're in now through the use of technology...
                                             Anything you have learned how to  do in EDM 310, but this time the topic does not concern EDM 310, just the skills you have learned here. 
Let's see if we can apply what we know in a different context!




My Example

For my Education in a Diverse Society class (EDF 315) I am currently compiling research and other information to write a paper that will be my final project. Seeing as this is semester wide assignment that will be turned in at the end of the term, there is lots and lots of research, and there loads of things I need to find out.

So first, I made an account on Evernote. This way anytime I see something that reminds me of my project or stumble across anything that I think would be a good to add I compile it through evernote.
home.php.png



While looking at blogs and websites of those who are knowledgeable in the subject I would copy links, pictures, documents anything... all into evernote. Just to see what it was like. This is the first time I've ever used it, and when I sat down and started writing my paper it made things go very smoothly. Instead of hunting for sources and ideas while I was trying to compose a paper, I'd already gathered them and they were only a click away through my account.

I also networked with many others using (gasp I know) Facebook. I know I know, it doesn't hold a candle to other networks we have been exposed to, but this is the one my teacher uses. Through this she constantly posts links, news articles, videos, and many other current events pertaining to education in a diverse society. Anything that I found and deemed potentially useful went straight into my evernote account. Anything that I downloaded from the docsharing aspect from USA online also went straight into evernote.

Finally (this is how far I am now) I opened a google doc where I uploaded my work in progress project. Sharing it with family members, classmates, professors, and a few trusted friends, anytime I make changes they give corrections, ideas, an any advice they think would make the presentation better!

So it's still a work in progress. I'm still browsing the internet finding new ideas, my evernote account is still expanding, and my google doc has much more to grow, but it is coming together very smoothly because if the things I have learned in EDM 310.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Miles,
    I really think that was a smart idea compiling all of the work you have done so far for your final project. I also really liked your blog post. I never have really thought about using what I have learned in EDM310 in my other classes. Although from your example that would have been a good idea since I also am in the same EDF class as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT A GREAT IDEA! I think the EDM310 takes for granted the notion that people know that the skills that we are learning can and should carry over to other aspects of life-- that is the only way we know they are truly being learned! Your project gives us a great opportunity to assess how this carry-over process occurs. Great example too. I am about to look Juarez up on facebook now just so I can get in on some of the research you talked about. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete