Saturday, April 2, 2011

Post #10

An Open Letter to Educators
     Morgan Bayda's blog post includes a video from Dan Brown where he explains his positioning on the education system of today. Through the video, Dan Brown explains how the educational society has evolved from it's beginnings. In the past knowledge was a owned by the few, and the masses were left out. This changed as society changed. Today knowledge has reached a whole new level of availability. Information is not only everywhere, but it is also free.
     How does this apply to the school systems today? This means that the traditional styles of teaching are not only outdated, but harmful to our students. Brown explains why he dropped out of school because the subject material was not only boring, but irrelevant. The classroom tended to be one way. The teacher was there to teach and the student as there to learn and memorize facts. A classroom where collaboration was hindered and critical thinking was all together absent.
     Although Morgan Bayda does agree with Brown, both of us tend to disagree with his decision to drop out. Morgan states how she has trouble staying awake in those classes, and I too find myself dosing off in those situations. Apparently Morgan's EDM class is much like our own in which we are challenged to think for ourselves and collaborate with other classmates to get the most our of our time. We are challenged to be creative and think critically about everything around us. To question everything we knew and either agree with it with a better understanding, or change it to suit our new thoughts. When we experience classrooms like this we wonder why the others are not the same. Not that all classes should be carbon copies, but I start to question things when the only interaction I have in a class is where walk in, sit down, listen, maybe scribble a few notes, and then leave.

3 comments:

  1. Miles,
    I also agree with you and Morgan, Mr. Brown should not have quit school just because he disagrees with a traditional classroom learning environment. He seems to be a smart person, but he made a very dumb decision ( in my opinion). Students are very different and learn in different ways and as future educators we need to take that into account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Miles,

    I think your take on Mr. Brown is the exact same way I would. I really admire his thoughts, but I don't think dropping out of school was the best thing to do. I think he could have used his prespcetive to advance his learning and make his college experience better because of it.


    From Dr. Strange: You did not comment onTom Johnspn's post Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home. I will complete my post Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them (A Learning Opportunity) later this week. After this post appears on the Class Blog you will be required to leave a comment. Watch the Class Blog for further instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Miles, I think everyone agree that Brown shouldnt have dropped out of school. I too also find myself boring in some classes, but it doesn't cross my mind about droppong out. I also agree with you when you said you don't like to go to class take s few notes, maybr doodle a little and then leave, not good! Your post is great and full of details. Glad I was able to read it!

    ReplyDelete