Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Metaphor

1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor?
I won't lie. I completely missed Mr. Spencer's metaphor. To be honest I think I was taking things a little to seriously, and with all my other assignments on top of that, I didn't give it the thought process that I should have. Sometimes going slow has it's benefits, especially when it comes to putting quality thought into the message that's starring you in the face.

2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them?
1 We're rolling in the dough
2 Life is a box of chocolates 
3 She's the apple of my eye
4 My minds exploding with all these thoughts bouncing around
5 It's been walking around my head
6 Kicked the bucket
7 I have spaghetti legs
8 Love is a battlefield 
9 Baby I'm a prize and you're a catch and we're a perfect match
10 They are two pees in a pod
11 He baited the conversation to get the answer he wanted
12 You have to hook the reader with your introduction 
13 Pencil Integration through the eyes of Tom Johnson 
14 I'm just a rat in the cage 
15 You stabbed my in the back
16 Jerry landed tickets for us at the concert
17 Keep the rhythm right there in the pocket
18 That class is full of a bunch of mouth breathers
19 It's time to hit the grind
20 I hit the sack when I got back to my dorm
21 That kid has been sawing logs all class period 
23 The apple doesn't fall far from the tree
24 That joker's a lose cannon
25 Aren't you just cheeky today?
26 He's like a one man band
And so on... I'm stopping there because this list will probably go on forever.


3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?
I believe if we use them more often then our students would understand them. Even challenge them with deep metaphors that may seem a little beyond their reach and help them along to understand what's going on. It hits on a creative and in depth form of thought that can be a transition into any subject in the classroom. 

4. Why do we use metaphors?
They make life interesting! Imagine reading a book without metaphors. It would be like describing events written through an extremely boring textbook. They also provide us with a whole new level of creativity to express what we're thinking. We use them so often were unconscious about it, but if you were to really think about it and try to speak without using metaphors, I believe you'd find yourself a little frustrated. Metaphors provoke a whole new train of thought. One that challenges us to think further than what's just sitting right in front of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment